Two years after having our trees thinned, we are down to one pile of waste wood to burn. With last week’s rain and the cold, we spent two frustrating days trying to get a fire started. Even when we got it going yesterday, it never really flamed up much, but the coals were so hot by the end of the day that even last night’s heavy rain wasn’t enough to extinguish the fire completely. It is still smouldering from the inside out this evening, much like a compost pile. If we can get a burn permit tomorrow, we may be able to get rid of the last of the big logs without having to spend hours coaxing a fire back into the wet wood.
While tending the fire, I’ve been box-blading the deck, getting it leveled out and distributing the ashes from previous burn piles. I also redirected some of the water that comes down the driveway and flows onto the deck on one side and used to flow into the woods on the other. Over time, more water has been encroaching onto parts of the driveway, and driving up during a thunderstorm the other day provided us a good opportunity to see where we could make some quick modifications. Hubby needs to show me how to adjust the box-blade so that I can create real ditches, but what I’ve done so far is at least a temporary solution!
I’ve been having fun on the tractor and am gaining confidence. As I have to extend my leg to reach the gas pedal, the onset of knee pain and the onset of over-confidence have so far coincided, so I haven’t managed to get myself into any questionable situations so far. Backing up remains problematic if I’m wearing my bi-focals instead of my safety glasses, but I’ve managed to auger two holes in the right places! I did, however, hand the tractor back over the hubby for the final holes this evening as I was becoming increasingly cross-eyed.
Talking of cross-eyed, hubby’s nose and the post-hole diggers somehow collided at the end the day yesterday, but he does not have black eyes! He, of course, wanted to keep working on the compost bin, but his nose wouldn’t let him. He was able to get the corner posts set today and we’ll put the walls up tomorrow, weather permitting. We’re going to use shipping pallets to form the walls for now. We know they’ll rot over time, but as the garden plans are every-changing, this may not be the permanent location for the compost. We’ll keep the tumbler bin up by the house for kitchen waste, but that will be just a drop in the bucket once we start gardening for real.
Composting helped us create a fertile garden in central South Carolina’s sand, and now it will help us do the same to middle Georgia’s clay! After box-blading yesterday, we see that between what has decomposed in the log piles and the ashes from the fires, we now have some really nice soil to at least get some cover crops growing early spring. I’ve thrown out pounds of grass and clover seed over the past year, but without breaking the packed clay surface, very little was able to germinate. I have a bag of buckwheat ready to sow — it’s a great early cover crop that also provides nectar. Buckwheat honey is supposed to taste really good, but we don’t have enough acreage to provide enough nectar of any one kind to be able to give our claim our honey is from any single plant type. Still, the bees liked the trial batch we planted in fall and that’s good enough for us.
Arriving back from grocery shopping during the thunderstorm gave us the incentive to move another project up the to-do list — the gate opener! But that story will have to wait until the next blog because the sun is shining and it’s just too nice to stay indoors typing!